USING SPEECH FUNCTION ON EFL CLASSROOM
This study deals with the utterance of English teachers of SMP A. Wahid Hasyim Tebuireng. It is aimed to know the type of speech function used by English teacher in the classroom, and to find out how speech functions are applied by English teacher in the classroom. The researcher applies qualitative design and content analysis design as the approach based on Ary et al (2010). The subject of this research was English teacher in SMP A. Wahid Hasyim Tebuireng. The source of the data is subject in where the data obtained, while the data is the utterances used by English teacher. The researcher used observation and audiovisual material of collecting data. The data of transcription are classified into six basic types of speech function. There are expressive, directive, referential, metalinguistic, poetic and phatic. The researcher observed an English teacher. From the teacher who observed, the researcher found different total utterances from each meeting. The total utterance is 41 utterances which classified into five types of speech function. How speech functions are applied by English teacher in the classroom is when the teacher interaction with her students.
Anugratamur, D. S. (2013). Speech Function in the Comic Entitled "Detective Conan". 21.
Ary, D. et.al. (2010). Introduction to Research in Education. Canada: Nelson Education, LTD.
Ball, J. (2005). The Routledge Handbook of Sociolinguistics Around the World. Oxon. Routledge.
Coulmas, F. (1998). The Handbook of Sociolinguistics. Florian: Blackwell.
Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational Research (Fourth Edition). Boston: Pearson Education.
Halliday, M., & Hasan, R. (1985). Language, Context and Text. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Holmes, J. (2001). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics. Wellington: Pearson Education.
Holmes, J. (2013). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics (Fourth Edition). New York: Routledge.
Hudson, R. (1997). Sociolinguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Meyerhoff, M. (2006). Introducing Sosiolinguistic. Cambridge.
Moleong, L. (2012). Metodologi Penelitian Kualitatif. Bandung: PT Remaja Rosdakarya.
Rahmania. (2018). The Speech Function Used by Ibu Muslimah and Pak Harfan in "Laskar Pelangi" Drama. Post Graduate School, 1.
Santy, M. S. (2017). English Teachers'Strategies in Managing a Large Class at SMP Negri 4 Kota Jambi. 5.
Saragih, A. (2014). Discourse Analysis. A Systematic Functional Approaches to the Analysis of Texts. . Medan: Faculty Language and Art.
Wardhaugh, R. (1998). An Introduction to Sociolinguistic. Oxford: Blackwell.
Wardhaugh, R. (2006). An Introduction to Sociolinguistic. Oxford: Blackwell.
Wardhaugh, R. a. (2015). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics: Seventh Edition. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons.
Wiyanto, M. S., & Asmorobangun, P. W. (2020). Gender differences of students’ ability in writing descriptive text. JOLLT Journal of Languages and Language Teaching, 8(2), 153-161. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33394/jollt.v%vi%i.2314
Yule, G. (2003). The Study of Language: An introduction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
2. The author grants the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
4. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
5. The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License