THE USE OF TRANSITIONS IN THE STUDENTS ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY
One of academic writing assignment is argumentative essay. A way to make a coherent paragraph is using transitions which should be clearly and demonstrated in an argumentative essay. Transitions can be words and/or phrases that connect the idea in one sentence with the idea in another sentence. By using transitions, the wriring can be read smoothly. The purposes in conducting the study are to know and describe the use of transitions in student’s writing argumentative essay and the awareness of the students about using transitions. This is a qualitative research-content analysis. The subject of the research is the third grade students of English Department in academic year 2015/2016. There were 23 students: 3 good students, 17 average students, and 3 poor students. The instruments are documents, interview, and student’s journal. After collecting the data, the next step is analyzing them by using coding system, tabulation, and describing them.
The results of this research are 1) almost all good students used transitions in essay correctly although there were few incorrect usages, then the average students and poor students had more corrections because they put the transitions in the wrong place, chose inappropriate transitions, used wrong grammatical, and over-use transitions, 2) All students in each category had good knowledge about the transitions, such as its definition, its types, and its function, how importance using transitions are. But sometimes they still felt difficult to use transitions. In conclusion, most of students in every category used transitions correctly even though there were some corrections, then the third grade students of English Department were conscious of transition signals, but they need more practice to apply it in the sentences in order to make their writing had better quality, easier to read and more understandable.
Key Words : Argumentative Essay, Transitions
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
2. The author grants the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
4. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
5. The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License